Monday 7 January 2008

Mick who?

I've been reading 'Foley Is Good' by Mick Foley. That is, when I'm not watching my new 'Mick Foley: Hits and Misses' DVD that I bought the other week. Yes, you could accuse me of being on a Mick Foley kick since meeting the great man in November (and the memory of him - a man who has had his front teeth knocked out, has hundreds of scars over his body and once lost half an ear in a match - asking Matt if his dozen-or-so piercings hurt will stay with me forever) but, hell, it always happens when I get mad on something. The book is really good, it's not really about Wrestling despite being by a Wrestler, it's more about what goes on behind the scenes and his journey of writing his previous book. It sounds strange to say I'm reading a book about writing a book but it works, it has a sense to it.

Speaking of meeting Foley (have I mentioned that I've met Mick Foley?), another person who was at Memorabilia was this weird guy who comes into the cinema to annoy us every now and then. And I mean that literally - neither I, nor anybody else that's worked there (for a considerably longer amount of time than I have, I might add) has EVER seen him buy tickets for anything. He just comes in, is annoying for a bit, and then leaves. It's all he does. Infact, the other day he said about how the last time he went to the cinema the tickets were £3.00. They're now £5.90. That's nearly £3 worth of inflation, so God knows when his last visit was.

I should state at this point that he does tick nearly all of the 'yes' boxes in the 'Qualifies for a Nutter' checklist. I don't think he has any serious mental problems, I just think he's delusional. For a start, he thinks he's best friends with lots of celebrities. This is based purely off having met them at conventions (by that theory me and Foley would be best chums now... although, he DID give me the impression he wanted to be........ uh oh, now I'm up to three ticks myself) and, in some cases, having sat particularly close to the TV when they've been on.

In all seriousness, though, it is getting to the point where certain staff members are considering telling him he can't keep coming in and not buying any tickets because it makes us feel uncomfortable, which is a good point. Unlike when a Nutter comes up to you in the street, or even when a Nutter came up to me in the Co-op, there's nowhere you can escape to because you're sat behind a Kiosk that you can't leave un-manned. You're effectively a captive audience, forced to endure his insane rants and nod and smile politely. They should consider sending him to POW camps and letting him wander in for a chat with the prisoners every now and then, they'd soon be coughing up the details.

Besides the afforementioned negatives, one of the good things about working in an environment where you have lots of pockets of time to yourself throughout the day is that you can fill it by reading. I've already started-and-got-bored-of 'Never Trust a Rabbit' by Jeremy Dyson, read-most-of-but-had-the-ending-ruined of 'Make Love, The Bruce Campbell Way' by Bruce Campbell (which, you be shocked to hear, isn't a sex guide), and I've currently been having my fill of Foley's book... when I'm not filling Popcorn scoops, that is.

It's a nice way to pass the time between film showings, and a good way to become well-read, only ruined by the fact that every time you pick up your book and begin to read, you just know more often than not that it's a customers cue to come in and ask irrelevant questions for 10 minutes.

Oh well, at least the intention is there.

No comments: